Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Adventure at Power Plant

Heyooo from Colorado Springs!!

  I have left my home base in Loveland for the week for a unique youth program called Power Plant. Youth groups have come from Oklahoma, Colorado and New Mexico for a youth camp type formatted week to learn about church planting. I had never heard of such a thing, but i think it is stinkin' cool! Each youth group gets partnered with a local church plant for the week to do outreach during the day and then all groups come back to where we are staying at a church for big sessions and worship.

Thanks as always for your prayers. I need energy and clarity to see the stories that God wants me to tell. Also pray for the church plants and other believers that are hard at work to reach the lost. We learned a staggering statistic this morning. Only 17% of the people of Colorado springs is involved in spiritual activity of some sort and of that only 7% is Christian... so that means that out of the 600,000 in Colorado Springs, approx. 500,000 don't know Christ. Ironic seeing as CO Springs is considered the "Christian Mecca" as it is home to over 100 ministries including Focus on the Family.

 Today I went out with Union Valley Baptist Church from Ada, OK as they helped Breathe Worship Center pastored by Drew and Rachel Van Gorder.



I was blown away at how awesome each of these groups are. To be honest, it was a challenge at first coming here this week because I was little sad to leave Foco for a week and wasnt sure how the whole youth camp thing was gonna be. But God is so faithful and rid me of myself today so that I could see Him at work in this amazing followers of Him.

 I spent time interviewing and hanging out with Drew and Rachel as I learned about their ministry at Breathe Worship, their stories of accepting Christ, their call to church planting, and the lives that have been reached as a result of their obedience.

The youth group offered to help with yard work in the Van Gorders' neighborhood to people they had been working on building relationships with. One of their neighbors appreciated it so much that he approached Drew asking how he could repay him. Drew said come visit church just one time and his neighbor agreed! One simple act of kindness opened up the door for the Gospel to be shared. Later on I went out with the group to help pass out fliers about their upcoming VBS and was able to talk to and encourage people.

I was so blessed by today- especially the incredible testimonies of Drew and Rachel as they lead their church plant filled with ex-strippers, wiccans, gangsters, etc.. Truly inspired by their whole hearted devotion to reaching the people right around them for the sake of Christ. Not to mention they have the cutest kids ever.



Keep on the lookout for a more in-depth article I will do about Breathe Worship Center and the awesome stories they shared with me. Tomorrow I will be teaming up with a different youth group and different church plant.. Cant wait!


1 comment:

  1. uhhh.....Our name in Union Valley Baptist Church....lol not union hill:) hahahahaa Oh and its Ada not "atta" lol I love it! keep up the good work!:)-Lacey

    ReplyDelete